Working Dogs are NOT EXEMPT!!!
After reading the following post go here for the instructions to file your comment to the proposed USDA/APHIS rule change. DEADLINE APPROACHING!!! July 16, 2012…
This Proposed APHIS Rule Change is a Clear And Present Danger to Homeland Security, National Defense, Disaster Response…
This proposed USDA/APHIS Rule change is a Clear and Present Danger to the working dogs who serve, protect and defend America.
The language which APHIS claims “exempts working dogs” is nothing more than: “This term does not include any retail outlet where dogs are sold for hunting, breeding, or security purposes.”
This so-called “exemption language” provides no protection for current/future generations of essential working dog specialties.
Consider for example:
- Schutzhund dogs are often sold as pet puppies. Yet many will eventually prove (through the working German Shepherd Dog breed-selection-process of Schutzhund – a multi-year process of advanced tracking/obedience/protection training and trials) that they should be bred. And/or that their destiny is to become a Law Enforcement (LE) K9, Search-and-Rescue (SAR) K9, Military Working Dog (MWD), or some other critically important job in society.
- The large numbers of puppies/young dogs from strong, top-quality working bloodlines sold as pets – but grow into such high-drive dogs with exemplary working traits that they prove “too much” for a pet home. And become a LE K9 or SAR K9.
- Tracking/trailing Search & Rescue dog
- Airscent Search & Rescue dog
- Urban Search & Rescue dog
- Water search dog (drowning victims)
- Water rescue dog (retrieve swimmers in distress)
- Avalanche dog
- Guide dog for the blind
- Signal dog for the deaf
- Mobility assistance dog
- Service dog for the disabled
- Police service dog
- Police trailing dog
- Dual purpose police dog
- Evidence dog
- Narcotics detection dog
- Explosives detection dog
- Accelerant (Arson) detection dog
- Military working dog
- Cadaver dog / Human remains detection dog
- Termite detection dog
- Mine detection dog
- Natural gas detection dog
- Lost pet search dog
- Sled dog
- Wildlife detection dog
- Cancer detection dog
- Seizure alert dog
- Livestock herding dog
- Livestock guardian dog
- Multipurpose farm dog
- Agricultural produce detection dog
- Insect Detection Dog
The United States Working Dog Foundation respectfully requests that Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack withdraw this proposed USDA/APHIS Rule completely.
President, United States Working Dog Foundation (USWDF).
America’s K9 Bodyguard.
The United States Working Dog Foundation (USWDF)
is a research, education and policy institute which promotes and defends America’s most cost-effective crime-fighting, terrorist-tracking, livestock-guarding, victim-rescuing, bomb-detecting, unconditional-love-providing heroes.
“Why do you like them so much?”
“Cause they stand on a wall.
And they say ‘Nothin’s gonna hurt you tonight.’”
—A Few Good Men